Slow Cooker Hangi
- 8 banana leaves or 8 portions of tin foil
- 4 medium potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 small pumpkin, cut into 8 pieces
- 4 chicken thighs, cut in half
- 8 small chops, pork, beef or lamb
- 4 slices bacon, cut in half
- Prepared bread stuffing (Stovetop) rolled into 8 golf ball sized portions
- 4 sprigs of rosemary
- To make individual servings, lay out 8 banana leaves or portions of tin foil.
- Put cabbage leaves down first, then equally distribute vegetables, rosemary, meat and stuffing together on top of the cabbage.
- Put another couple of cabbage leaves over the top of the food.
- Wrap everything up in the tinfoil or banana leaves so it is encased in the cabbage.
- Roll several balls of tin foil, about 1.5-2 inches in diameter and place them at the bottom of the crock pot.
- Add water almost to the top of the foil balls. You want steam to help cook your food, but you don’t want the water to touch the packets.
- Cook on high for approximately 6-8 hours or until cooked through. Check water level about half-way through and replenish water if needed.
- Salt and pepper to taste (don’t add salt to raw ingredients, only after cooked.)
Maori Fry Bread
- 4 cups lukewarm water
- 2 Tablespoons yeast
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 8-10 cups all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 quart cooking oil
- Stir together water, yeast, sugar and 2 Tablespoons of the flour and leave for 15 minutes or until yeast has bloomed.
- In a large bowl, mix the rest of the flour with salt.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and add yeast mixture.
- Gradually stir in flour. Stop adding flour as soon as dough can be kneaded. on a floured board.
- Let dough prove for 15 minutes. At the same time, heat oil.
- Press or roll out dough to about 1/4 inch thick and cut into desired shapes.
- Fry until browned on both sides and cooked through.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 5 kiwifruit, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 limes, cut into wedges
- Mint leaves (2 – 3 sprigs)
- 1 T. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. vodka
- 3 c. soda water
- Crushed ice
- Strawberries for garnish
- Combine kiwifruit, lime, mint and sugar in a plastic bowl. Use a muddler to crush ingredients together.
- Spoon the kiwifruit mixture evenly into 4 serving glasses. Add vodka and ice and stir.
- Top with soda water and serve.