Adventure, Cuisine, Culture, Drink, Finders Seekers, Game Night Ideas, Immersion
Sticky Toffee Pudding
- 1 cup & 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup pitted dates, chopped very small
- 1 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup softened unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Vanilla ice cream
Toffee Sauce Ingredients
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter a 10-inch baking dish.
- Chop the dates very small and place in a small bowl. Add baking soda and pour the 1 1/4 cup of boiling water over the dates. Set aside to soak.
- Sift flour and baking powder together and set aside.
- Blend butter and sugar in electric stand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla to butter and sugar mixture. Beat until blended and smooth.
- Gradually add flour mixture.
- Add date mixture to batter and fold with a spatula until combined.
- Pour into baking dish.
- Bake until cake is tan, set, and firm on top, about 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
Sticky Toffee Sauce Instructions
- Combine butter, heavy cream, and brown sugar in a heavy saucepan.
- Heat toffee until boiling while stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium low until mixture thickens, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add vanilla and stir.
Assemble Sticky Toffee Pudding
- Serve slices of cake with a generous helping of toffee sauce over the top and vanilla ice cream.
- 4 lbs. chicken thighs with bone in, remove skin
- 10 cups water
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup barley
- 1 can condensed chicken broth
- 7 medium leeks, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 T. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 10 dried prunes, pitted and cut in half
- Place chicken into a large pot; pour in water and wine, then add onion and barley. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board and discard bones; chop meat into bite-sized pieces and return to the pot.
- Add condensed broth, leeks, potatoes, prunes, celery, parsley, salt, pepper, bay leaves and thyme; simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
Atholl Brose Cocktail
Ingredients (makes 11 shots)
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 tsp heather honey (any honey can be used if heather honey is unavailable)
- Scotch whisky equal to the amount of oat brose (about 8 oz)
- 5 oz heavy cream
- Soak the oats in water for 24 hours.
- Strain the brose liquid from the oats into a clean container. Squeeze the rest of the liquid out using a cloth.
- Stir in honey until dissolved (use a silver spoon for a proper Atholl Brose)
- Stir in Scotch whisky and heavy cream.
- If desired, allow to mature in the fridge for a few days or enjoy immediately over ice