Gourmet Fortune Cookie Recipe
Ingredients (makes ~8 cookies)
• 2 egg whites at room temperature
• 6 tablespoons butter
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 1/2 all-purpose flour, sifted
• 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
• Melted chocolate (white, milk or dark)
• Favorite toppings
• Paper plate
• Paper fortunes: Write your own fortunes or poetry
- Cut a 6-inch circle out of the middle of a paper plate. Discard the circle and use the leftover plate as a stencil (see image below).
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Whip room temperature egg whites until stiff, then chill.
- In a mixer, cream the butter, then add sugar. While mixing, add flour and blend.
- Mix in vanilla and add chilled egg whites. Mix on low until batter is smooth, but don’t over mix.
- With a small spatula, spread the batter through the stencil onto a silicone baking sheet, or a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Cookie should be very thin.
- Bake until light golden brown, 7 – 8 minutes. Overcooking will result in brittle cookies that are hard to shape.
- Quickly remove cookies from the oven and place fortune in the center of each. One at a time, fold the cookie circle in half, forming a taco shell shape. Then fold in half again, in the other direction, place on a plate to cool and harden. This step takes practice, but remember imperfections taste just as good!
- Drizzle with or dip in melted chocolate and decorate with your favorite toppings (Sprinkles, toffee crunch, chocolate chips, nuts, Nerds candy, cinnamon sugar, crushed mints)