Authentic Australian Recipes
Cuisine, Culture, Finders Seekers, Game Night Ideas, Immersion
Let’s fire up “the barbie” and make a dry rub for the meat! Remember, don’t hold back when applying your rub because you want each bite from the exterior to have enough flavor to carry over to the meat’s interior!
Shrimp Dry Rub
Mix 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp garlic, onion, and chili powder each, 1/4 tsp black pepper and sugar, and 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper. Thread shrimp onto skewers and sprinkle fresh lemon juice and melted butter over. Sprinkle the seasoning mix over the shrimp and grill.
Chicken or Beef Dry Rub
Use 2 Tbsp brown sugar, 1 Tbsp each of garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder, cumin, & ground black pepper, 2 Tsp cocoa, and 1 Tsp salt. Generously rub the seasoning mix into the meat and grill until it reaches the proper temperature.
Dessert anyone? An Aussie trifle, originally an English dessert, is perfect for celebrations.
For the custard layer (Homemade recipe below but you can also use packaged, easy-make custard)
- 4 cups whole milk
- 8 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter
For the cake layer
- 9×13 white or yellow cake, baked and cooled
For the fruit layer
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries or blueberries
- 1 tablespoon cream sherry
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
For the Custard
- Heat the milk over low-medium heat, stirring frequently, until it just begins to simmer and steam rises from the surface.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch until light and smooth.
- Remove the heated milk from the stove. While whisking the egg yolk mixture constantly, add the hot milk, a few drops at a time, slowly into the yolks. Don’t add too quickly or the eggs will curdle or scramble the eggs. Whisking continuously until all the milk has been added.
- Pour the contents from the mixing bowl into the saucepan and heat over medium, whisking constantly, until the mixture just comes to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, keep whisking, ensuring that the milk mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pan, until thickened, about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla. Let sit for 5 minutes, then whisk in butter. Custard will be thick and smooth. Pour into a shallow bowl and cover the top with plastic wrap so that the plastic is touching the surface of the custard. This will prevent a skin from forming on top. Cool in the refrigerator until chilled.
For the Cake
- Cut the cake into small squares 1-2-inches.
For the Fruit
- In a medium bowl, combine the strawberries, raspberries/blueberries, sherry and sugar. Stir to coat. Keep in the refrigerator until ready to assemble the trifle.
For the Whipped Cream
- Combine the heavy whipping cream and the powdered sugar in a larger mixer bowl. Beat on high for 2 minutes, or until stiff peaks form. Keep chilled in the refrigerator until ready to assemble.
Assemble the Trifle
- Place 1/3 of the cake cubes in the bottom of the trifle dish. Top the cake cubes with 1/3 of the fruit, followed by 1/3 of the custard and finally with 1/3 of the whipped cream. Repeat layers two more times. Decorate the top with fresh fruit. Keep chilled until ready to serve.